Mixing painted furniture with wooden furniture can add a touch of personality to any room. With a little bit of planning and a few simple tips, you can create a space that is both stylish and unique.uh
When it comes to home furnishings, there are endless possibilities for mixing and matching different wood and painted items.
We just love how mixing different woods can create a warm and inviting feel in any room. It can also be a great way to add a pop of color or personality to your space.
Let's start with the brief answer first before we find out more.
In a nutshell, mixing painted and wooden furniture is all about finding the right balance. You want to make sure that the colors complement each other and that the overall look is cohesive. Make sure you have a plan before you start mixing and matching different pieces.
Now, let's take a closer look at how to mix painted and wooden furniture like a pro.
What Color Is Your Existing Furniture?
First, consider the colors of your existing furniture. If you have mostly dark wood furniture, then choosing a light color for your painted piece can help to brighten up the space.
Conversely, if you have mostly light-colored furniture, then a dark paint color can help to ground the room.
Is Style Important?
You also want to take into consideration the style of your furniture.
Mixing different woods can create a very eclectic look, so if you prefer a more polished look, you may want to stick with one type of wood furniture.
What Design Styles Work Well with Painted Furniture & Wooden Furniture?
When mixing painted and wooden furniture, it's important to pay attention to the overall style of your room.
Make sure that the pieces you choose complement each other and create a cohesive look.
Mixing different woods can create a rustic look. Try pairing a weathered wood with a painted piece for a country chic vibe.
Painted furniture can also add a touch of elegance to a room. Try mixing it with darker woods for a luxurious feel.
For a more funky and fun look, mix painted furniture with brightly colored wood. This is a great way to add some personality to a room!
Find out how to create the perfect pairing of painted and wooden furniture that fits with your design goals.
- French: If you want to achieve a French country look, then mixing different woods is a must. Painted furniture can add some flair to this style. Try using distressed or antique pieces for an authentic feel.
- Scandinavian: This style is all about simplicity and functionality. Mixing different woods can make the space feel more inviting and warm. Painted furniture can also add a touch of color to this style.
- Eclectic: For a more eclectic look, try mixing different woods with painted furniture. You can add a touch of quirkiness using mismatched pieces and bold colors. This is a great way to express your personality and create a one-of-a-kind look
- Elegant: For a more elegant look, try mixing different woods with painted furniture. You can achieve a luxurious feel by using dark woods and rich colors.
- Modern: If you want a more modern look, try mixing different woods with painted furniture. You can add a touch of sophistication by using sleek lines and bold colors.
- Rustic: If you want a more rustic look, try mixing different woods with painted furniture. You can add a touch of country charm by using distressed or antique pieces, in the same way as creating a trench country look
- Contemporary: If you prefer a more contemporary look, try mixing different woods with painted furniture. You can add a touch of sophistication by using sleek lines and bold colors. This is a great way to create a modern and minimal look.
Choose Complementary Colors
You don't want the furniture to clash, so choose colors that work well together
Some good examples of woods that mix with paint colors are:
- Pine and white
- Cherry and black
- Oak and cream
- Walnut and burgundy
- Maple and green
Don't be afraid to mix woods too! so you can mix these woods for a more unique look:
- Pine and oak
- Cherry and maple
- Walnut and cherry
Mixing woods too close to each in color can however create a 'muddy' look, so always keep that in mind when mixing. In any kind of home decor creating contrast is key to a good design.
Here are five of our best tips on how to mix wood and painted furniture:
- Start with a blank canvas: Begin by painting the walls in a neutral color. This will provide a nice backdrop for your wood and painted furniture.l
- Create a focal point: Use one piece of painted furniture as the focal point in the room. This could be a dresser, buffet, or even a headboard
- Incorporate different shades: Mixing different shades of paint can add depth and interest to your space. Try using a light color on one piece of furniture and a dark shade on another
- Add texture: Adding texture to your space can also be done by mixing different types of furniture. For example, use a painted table with wood chairs or vice versa
- Use accessories: Accessories are a great way to add color and pattern to your room. Use throw blankets, pillows, and artwork to make your space pop.
Painting Your Furniture
Chalk paint is a great option for painting furniture, as it doesn't require any prep work and can be applied directly to the wood. It's also available in a variety of colors, so you're sure to find one that you love.
Start by painting your larger pieces of furniture, such as dressers and armoires, in a lighter shade. Then, mix in some darker wooden furniture for contrast.
For example, a white dresser with a dark wood bed frame would look stunning.
If you want a more unified look, paint all of your furniture in the same light color. Then, add in some darker accessories, such as throw pillows or a rug, to create contrast.
Other examples we love are a white coffee table with dark wood end tables or a light bookshelf with a dark wood desk.
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
Our favorite chalk paint is the brand Annie Sloan, which you can purchase online or in stores like Home Depot.
We just love her shades as they are super versatile and can be used in a variety of ways.
These Annie Sloan shades mix well with wooden furniture and can add a unique look to your home decor.
- Old White
- French Linen
- Duck egg
- Versaille (a lovely muted mustard)
Darker Annie Sloan furniture paint such as Graphite and Emperor's Silk is perfect for creating a more sophisticated look in your home.
Wooden furniture shades that would work well with these paint colors are natural, Mahogany, and walnut.
If you're not sure which paint color to choose, we suggest going with a classic white or cream. These shades always look timeless and can be easily refreshed with new accessories each season.
Wood finishes that would work well with minimalistic white or cream-painted furniture are oak, cherry, and maple.
And To Sum Up…
And there you have it! Mixing painted furniture with wood furniture can add a unique and personal touch to your home.
Just be sure to take the time to plan out your project and prep your furniture properly for the best results. Then you can add wonderful finishing touches that bring some natural colors and style to your home, like our stylish plant hangers.
Mixing painted furniture with wood furniture is a great way to add interest and depth to your space.
By using different shades of paint, incorporating different textures, and using accessories, you can create a unique and stylish room.